Monday, 5 October 2015

Module 1, Chapter 3

STRAIGHT STITCHING - FOOT ON

Page 1

Transfer dyed satin with a backing of felt.  Straight stitch with orange thread to form a grid.  Some horizontal and vertical spaces stitched with turquoise thread close together.  Repeated with yellow thread.  Red rayon thread stitched in random straight lines along edge of shape.  I don't think the red lines added any interest to the piece.


Page 1

I used Titanium needles for all the straight stitch work.  They are expensive but I find they are stronger and stay sharper longer than usual needles.


Page 2

Stitching a diagonal grid.

I used black felt with a thin calico backing.  Stitching was with dark (red), medium (green) and light (pale pink) threads.

Against the black background the pink thread looks while and loses its colour.

Page 2
Page 3

Stitching straight lines all over - a razzle dazzle piece

I used calico backed with saril - an acrylic curtain lining similar to bump.  I stitched 10 rows in all different directions,  before changing colour.  The thick dark lines made the sample wrinkle more than the single coloured lines.

Page 3
I found the above razzle dazzle piece rather boring - both to look at and to stitch!

Picture 4

I stitched a second razzle dazzle piece.  I used a piece of the satin dyed with transfer crayons (from chapter one), and backed it with thin felt.  I used threads the colours of the dyes, with black thread for the "window".

It reminded me of a stormy sky with flashes of lightning.  I am looking through the window but the storm is all around me and lighting up the room.

I was pleased with this piece, and it was interesting to plan and stitch.

picture 4

























No comments:

Post a Comment